Sunday, October 3, 2010

Checklists and Cluster Flies

Do you have these at your house?  A few years ago I sat beside a woman whose husband owns a pest control service.  While I was complaining to anyone within earshot she said, "It sounds like you have cluster flies." 
Dead cluster flies on the back step


I thought we just lived too far in the country and the flies had no where else to hang out!  I learned that cluster flies lay eggs a few feet out from the perimeter of your foundation and then every nice day in the fall, winter and spring you will get a hatch of new flies who go straight to the siding on your house to cling and get warm.  In our case, they also get inside the windows that haven't been upgraded yet.  Once inside, they crawl all over things like light fixtures and then scatter to die.  It seems like every few years they get worse and that's when we have to spray. 

One fall during the 1990's I brought home the spray that feed lots use in their buildings.  I would come home from work and open the windows, spray everywhere while holding my breath, then leave.  Later I would go back upstairs with the vacuum sweeper and sweep up all their little dead bodies so I could go to bed.  Gross!!!  Luckily, I ran into the pest control person around that time and she explained how to get rid of them.  We try hard not to add chemicals to our spot on the prairie.  But for these little critters, I make a special exception.

P.S.  Here is the little honey-do list I left on the refrigerator. 

My husband is such a step-by-step personality.  He has worked all weekend to cross off the things on this list.  Things I have mentioned, and mentioned......and hinted, and suggested and pleaded.  I don't know I why I forget that "the checklist" is a good way to get action!  He has one more item to go but he worked in a break to help someone set a tree stand this afternoon.  Bow season takes priority and it's almost here, as I am sure you are aware! 

No comments: