Friday, January 7, 2011

Measuring Up

1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up? 

Oh yea.  Mostly the other blogs just make me wish that I had cared more about how I dressed over the years (when I didn't have the extra bulges and wrinkles I have now!).  I'm happy to see that there are many, many young women that are enjoying their uniqueness right now.  And they are not trying to fit in with whatever is for sale this week at the mall.

2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?

No.  I was excited to see the wide variation in what is already out there in blog world.  I don't enjoy the blogs that seem to encourage more buying, buying, buying.  But I keep some of them in my google reader list to remind me of where I used to be and how unhappy I was.  I quit cold turkey and I am so much more content.  To each her own! 

3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?

No, but I have also realized over the past few months that many of the "crafty" (read "money-saving") things I have done my whole life are, in fact, skills that I could share. 

4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?

I have only been blogging a few months so its difficult to know whether or not I have accomplished anything yet.  I know I have finally found my voice in other areas of my life so its bound to be showing up here too!

5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?

I'm so rural.  And so out-of-touch with anything really "fashion".  And I reached fifty plus years old with too much stuff and no feeling of contentment with any of it.  I know alot of women like me.  What makes me somewhat unique is that I have been given one year of time away from the stress and bustle of the corporate world.  I researched.  I tried things and evaluated whether they worked.  I found excellent resources with Dressing Your Truth (caroltuttle.com) and I expanded my simplifying.  And then something clicked and its working!  I can show others what is working for me!

2 comments:

Terri said...

Kitty--I feel like I have found a soul mate in you. Don't think I'm quite as rural as you; Paola is a bedroom community to KC. Carol Tuttle is a new one to me and I'll be sure to check that out.

And please, share more of your DIY.

Vanessa said...

Yay to you for finding your voice! I love finding another rural woman to swap ideas with.
And, thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog.