Saturday, January 29, 2011

Weird 1980's Jumpsuit Upcycle Project

I'll admit I spend too much time on ebay.  But really, where else can you learn so much about Americans and their junk?  I came across this thing last week.......

So....I am intrigued.  Its New With Tags, meaning someone bought in a LONG TIME ago and never even pulled the tags off.  It's aqua.  And 99 cents.  Made by Newport News.  The description was a half sentence only ......"office pants that are a dress too". 

It kept me puzzled for 48 hours until I decided I had to see it in person.  It would be worth the $6 shipping just to SEE what the heck it was!  Was it knit?  silk?  Palazzo pants?  Skirt? 

It arrived a few days ago and the first thing my daughter said was, "those buttons have to go!" as she rolled her eyes away to keep from cracking up.  The buttons were nice shiny bright silver - very 80's.  The fabric is 100% rayon in a nice weight a color.  It was a vintage size 8 which is too tight in the bust for me.  I remembered when I tried to pull it on that I couldn't wear this style of one piece in the 1980's either because I am too long waisted - making the crotch seam pull right up and attempt to split me in half.  Those were my first observations......

But wait.....this was all about a creative upcycle idea!  I'm working on it.  I will post the finished product soon! 

1 comment:

Terri said...

Ha. The last time I wore a jumpsuit like this would have been in the late 60s. Mine were homemade! I'll be curious to see what you come up with and once again, I wish I had the sewing skills to carry out the possibilities I can visualize.