Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Upcycled Child's Dress

This project involves a beautiful dress my granddaughter received for Christmas last year.  She wore it once when she was about eight months old.  Her great-grandma bought it for her at Kohl's.





Cute!  But one of those outfits that only fits for a very short while!  So I got to looking at it while it was hanging here in our storage closet.  The skirt is beautiful - crinkly with ribbon embroidery.......hmmmm...


I took it apart, saving the skirt, the sleeves and the tie around the waist.  Then I struggled to find a fabric that wasn't too cutsey (wedding looking) for the new bodice.  Saturday I bought a new sweater dress for myself at JC Penney on the clearance rack.  It had a huge cowl neck on it which I promptly cut off and rehemmed into a banded neckline.  The leftover piece of sweater neck ended up laying next to this red skirt on the cutting table.  Aha! 



This is the best photo I could get - she is very, very busy! 

This is her running over to see herself on the digital camera screen - except the camera hasn't exactly taken the picture yet.....


She also has on a pair of leggins I made her recently from the sleeves of this thrifted $1 sweater......




Now the socks, I can't explain - except its really, really cold here and we are all wearing lots of layers even in the house! 

And, in case you thought I do all of this design work by myself......

No comments: